ABC

AXED! Cancellation Season is in Effect! NBC, ABC, & CBS Are Cutting Down the Lineup, HARD!

5/13/2014 12:28:00 AM



So over the weekend the news is hard and its difficult to hear but TV shows are getting the AXE! ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX have announced cancellations left and right! Cancellation Season is in Full Effect. So let's just get into the shows that will not be returning this coming season:

ABC



Just about every comedy that has been running on ABC has been cut: Suburgatory, Super Fun Night, Trophy Wife, Mixology, and The Neighbors.


Suburgatory



If you've never seen Suburgatory it was the story of a teenage girl named Tessa and her father George moving to a suburban community outside of New York city. The suburb comes across as a barbie/stepford wife world, where everyone is blonde, looks perfect and attempts a picture perfect life.
Suburgatory was a favorite of the ABC president but with the order of 2 new shows it just didn't make the cut with its ratings and minor cult following. I actually watched Suburgatory a few times and I thought it was a cleverly funny show. I'm sad to see it go. Update: I hear Suburgatory may be getting a new home in the near future. Hopefully the show will get picked up and pick up steam! Good Luck Suburgatory!

Super Fun Night



Super Fun Night was about a plus size fun loving girl, her friends, and co-workers. It centered around a character named Kimmy who made a vow with her friends to break out of her shell and become more social and have fun.
The story was really cute and I thought it should've stayed on tv. I really liked the concept and how it showed girls and women that being comfortable in your own skin and loving yourself was the most important thing. I LOVED this show because it spoke to me and my personal struggle with being shy and over weight. I'm really really really sad to see the show go. I was hoping for a season 2 but its a no go. Netflix, please hear my cry! LOL

Trophy Wife



Trophy Wife was about a beautiful blonde party girl named Kate who settles down and marries a middle aged lawyer named Pete. This marriage brings in a ready made family of 3 kids (ranging in age from pre-teen to teen) from 2 ex-wives, one's a hard nosed perfectionist and the other is a free spirit. The show focuses on Kate and her ability to juggle her new found motherhood and wife status. 
I saw the pilot to this show and I have to be honest I wasn't sold on this show. I'm the type of person if I don't get interested right off the bat then I become bored and change the channel. I tried with Trophy Wife for several weeks and I was highly disappointed. It just didn't keep me interested. I thought that it would get better as the show progressed but it didn't and I had such high hopes for Trophy Wife I really did.
Mixology:


Mixology 

Follows 10 men and women who meet at a bar in Manhattan called Mix. It charts the course of these 10 peoples interaction with each other over the course of 1 night. Through out the season a new set of people will meet and get to know each other and by the end of the season the night will finally end and will show who ended up with who.
Mixology just seemed too complicated by the description. The trailers for the show were misleading. It gave the impression that it was like a organized date place (similar to how match.com has specific dates planned that customers can sign up for) and Internet hopefuls as well as bar patrons meet up and get to know each other or like a speed dating club. That sounds like a much better concept than this. And from what I read I didn't really miss much in not watching the show. The jokes and the show itself were just too raunchy for its audience. It was just a major fail! However I think it would be a good fit for cable television or streaming. Hulu, Netflix, or maybe FX should give it the wind it needs to pick up and become a good television show. It had promise it was just poorly executed. 
The Neighbors


The Neighbors is about a family who relocates to a gated community that is completely inhabited by aliens. The aliens cry green goo from their ears, receive nourishment by reading, ride around in golf carts, and if they clap their hands above their heads they reveal their true form. Oh and all the aliens are named after celebrity athletes. 
The Neighbors was just a funny, cute, strange show. I watched a snippet of it and it was unique to say the least. I thought it had created its own little niche in the ABC lineup but I guess I was wrong. Sad to see it go.
With that being said ABC has one comedy show that has outlasted the AXE and that is Last Man Standing with Tim Allen. It has been renewed for a 4th Season.

Hopefully the new shows ABC has coming down the pipe will revive their comedy scene and give the network some depth beyond just dramas and reality shows.

NBC


NBC didn't chop as many shows but they have gotten rid of some newbies and semi-oldies that people might miss. The AXE has come down on Revolution, Crisis, Dracula, Community, and BelieVe.

Revolution


Revolution was the story of a world totally dependent on technology and how it lost it. After the world went dark an uprising of Military factions and mercenaries took over. Governments fell and chaos ensued. The world was thrust back before the technology age. Or was it? Many people assumed that computers, cars, lights or anything that was and could be powered by electricity was none-existent, but they were wrong. There are people who have access to power. Who ever has the power controls the world.
Revolution was my absolute favorite of all the shows mentioned here. I LOVED THIS SHOW and I'm so mad that its leaving! I was so intrigued when I first saw the preview on Facebook. It came on during some of my other shows and it just wasn't feasible to record the show and watch the other shows I watched too. So I was elated to see it on Netflix. I couldn't believe it. Then I could watch it whenever I wanted! I was so happy. But now the wind has been let out of my sails because my show has been cut! I wish they'd given it time to boost itself. According to Deadline, the show kept losing steam because of its long mid-season hiatus. If that's the case then why not bring it back! It was a good show and I think it would've been great given the right time slot. Monday night was a great time slot for it and it should've stayed there! Netflix again I'm calling to you! Hulu your next can you hear me?! Amazon Prime, I have a show you might like.... (Seriously if you've never seen it check it out on Netflix. Its a good show that deserved better than getting the axe for something new that may not even last pilot season.)
BelieVe


Believe was the story of a little girl named Bo who has telekinetic powers which she cannot control. Because of her powers Bo must be protected at all costs. But as her powers grow her protectors feel it necessary to find an outsider to protect Bo. They turn to a man named William Tate. A wrongfully convicted death row inmate who is reluctant to protect Bo at first. But after a while forms a strong bond with the powerful child all the while protecting her from the evil forces that want to use her enormous power.
I never watched Believe so I really have nothing to say on it. I know this, the plot line for the show was interesting but I can't say it was enough to make me watch it. 
Crisis



During a school field trip some of the nations most prominent children are kidnapped and held for ransom, including the President's son. A national crisis begins as the hunt for the kidnappers and the children. CIA, Secret Service and even the President are affected by the kidnapping. Posing the question: How far would you go to protect your child?
I saw the trailers for Crisis and I watched the show. It was really good. I'm not understanding why the show was cancelled but I'm guessing if the show wasn't holding ratings enough then it had to go. Sad it had real potential. I really don't think the network gave this one a shot to flourish.

Dracula



It is the re-imagining of Bram Stokers classic tale. In this version Dracula arrives in London posing as an American businessman whose goal is to bring modern science to the Victorian society. Under this ruse Dracula can put his REAL plan into action: Destroying the lives of those who ruined his centuries earlier. The only flaw in his plan is his love for a woman who strangely resembles his deceased wife (Isn't it always a woman messing up the plan?).
I watched the beginning of this show too. I was very intrigued and hoped it would have done well. The premise for this season and mid-season dramas seems to be horror or horror like shows. With that being said I thought Dracula would be a standout hit! They had the lead role cast Jonathan Rhys Meyers of the highly successful Tudors. But unfortunately it didn't make the cut. I know this is a recurring trend on this blog but Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime....WE NEED YOU! 
Community


Community revolves around Jeff Winger a lawyer who is suspended from his law firm because he lied about having his bachelors degree. To get his job back Jeff enrolls in community college where he meets: Abed Nadir, Shirley Bennett, Annie Edison, Troy Barnes, and Pierce Hawthorne in a study group (one he pretends to have put together in order to impress a young woman named Britta). While often butting heads with the group, he quickly becomes friends with them all.
I actually never watched Community until I came across it one day on the CW (its been syndicated). I thought it was a silly show and initially didn't have the patience or time to watch it. But one day I was watching Bill Cunningham and couldn't find the remote so I was stuck watching Community, that's how I felt about it until I watched the show. But once I started watching it I noticed that it was actually pretty funny. It had the premise of the Office but so much funnier. The episode I watched was the Law and Order mock episode. It was hilarious and I became an instant fan. Even after I got wind that Donald Glover (Troy) was leaving I still prepped myself to watch the show. It seemed like a good fit for me. But now that I hear its being cancelled I will just have to be alright with the syndicated reruns and that's okay with me. At least the show will still be seen. Although I can't figure out why Parks and Recreation was able to survive over Community but I guess everybody has their favorites. Anyway sayonara Community, I'll see you on the reruns!
Growing Up Fisher



Growing Up Fisher was about a little boy named Henry and his seriously awkward family. His father is blind and used Henry as a seeing eye "confidant". No one knew his dad was blind until Henry's mother and father decided to get a divorce. That's when everything in little Henry's life changed. Henry began to get distanced from his father and his mother is constantly trying to salvage her long lost youth. Henry and his family are a typical divorced American family dealing with everyday problems in a comical and pitiful way.
I thought Growing Up Fisher was a good show. I definitely didn't think the show would end this soon. It just premiered a few weeks ago. I thought it was somewhat funny and unique. But its not something that compelled me to watch every week. I just wasn't that into it.
 Honorable Mention:


Parenthood may or may not return. Their status is up in the air at this point! Stay Tuned I will keep you updated.

With most of the mid-season and cult strong shows being cancelled I feel bad for NBC. They can't seem to find a show that fits their network in terms of crime/drama beyond Law and Order, the Blacklist, Chicago P.D. and Chicago Fire. I hope that they find something to fill the voids. And try not to kill shows like Revolution with their 2 to 3 month long hiatus. Hiatus leads to forgetfulness. Just keep that in mind NBC. Anyway good luck to the remaining shows (that I can think of) Hannibal one of my FAVORITES has a season 3 coming down the pike, Grimm is still moving and shaking along with Parks and Recreation, About a Boy, Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D., Law and Order: SVU, etc. I hear there are some more dramas and comedies coming  soon so Good Luck during Pilot Season NBC, you're going to need it!

CBS




On CBS there are shows here that I NEVER thought would be here and there are others that I KNEW would be here. Here are the shows that are being cancelled by CBS: Intelligence, Crazy Ones, Friends with Better Lives, Bad Teacher, and Hostages. Let's start with the ones I knew wouldn't last and end with the ones I was surprised to see go.

Bad Teacher




Bad Teacher was loosely based off of the film Bad Teacher with Cameron Diaz, Justin Timberlake and Jason Siegel. The premise was basically the same a woman dumped by her rich husband is seeking her next meal ticket so she takes a job as a middle school teacher to meet her mr. moneybucks. Well in this version of Bad Teacher instead of trying to bag the rich teacher she's looking for a rich divorced dad. So she steals a resume off of the internet and tricks her way into a teaching position at her friends daughters school.
To put it plainly Bad Teacher sucked. It was poorly executed, the jokes fell flat, and the characters were very transparent. I mean there was nothing to the show. I just wasn't a fan. Honestly I really wanted to like the show. It seemed like it would be funny. I assumed the show would be similar to the movie and I loved the movie. But I was DEAD wrong, which is why the show is dead in the water. I feel bad for David Allen Grier and the other great cast members. They had a great potential but it just didn't make the cut. 
Friends with Better Lives




Deals with 6 friends on the end of the 20s, beginning of their 30s in different stages of romantic relationships. 1 couple is married, 1 is engaged, and 2 of the friends are single. It explores the lives of these friends and how they interact with each other.
Basically they were trying to recreate Friends and How I Met Your Mother and they failed miserably. Don't get me wrong the show seemed funny by the previews. But you would have to be a fool to think that this was actually going to work out in your favor CBS. One of the biggest shows on your network was ending and instead of waiting to release this show during the Pilot season when it would've had a better chance of survival you put the sitcom right after the show thinking people would watch just because its on after HMYM. SMDH you should have known better, simple as that. This format has been done so many different ways try something else. Seriously! But on the upside I hear its being shopped around to other networks (cable networks like TBS, FX, etc) and may be picked up soon. So if you like Friend with Better Lives than keep your fingers crossed that your show will be picked up by a different network.

Intelligence




A CIA operative with a computer chip implanted in his head is charged to carry out dangerous missions to help protect the United States from its enemies.
Intelligence was a good series. It just wasn't able to hold up in the end. With a new CSI ordered and the ever popular series Person of Interest and Elementary holding down the fort its not hard to see why Intelligence wasn't going to be around for long. CBS is overloaded with Crime/Drama: Criminal Minds, CSI, Person of Interest, Elementary, Blue Bloods, The Mentalist, NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, and Hawaii Five-O. To be honest there was no need for Intelligence. The fans of CBS are very particular about their crime dramas and if its not hitting they will shut it out!
Hostages



Hostages centered around a family (with an abundance of secrets) who are held against their will by an FBI agent and his crew. The true focus of the hostage situation is the mother/wife of the family who is a world renowned doctor. She has been chosen to operate on the president and also forced to kill him on the operating table. As she struggles with the task at hand she has to decide between keeping her family safe and killing the leader of the free world.
Hostages was an EXCELLENT show. It deserved a second season. I didn't know how it would play out or anything but I thought it was great. I was on the edge of my seat with every episode and I couldn't believe how it played it out in the end! I loved every minute of it. Toni Collette was the lead on this show and she was spectacular she is one of my favorite actresses and I loved that they had her in the leading role of this show. I'm sad to see it go. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime....I'm calling on you AGAIN! 
Crazy Ones


Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar lead this crazy band of misfits on this highly hilarious show called the Crazy Ones. It centers on a father and daughter running an Ad Agency together. Its just a bunch of crazy antics lead by the crazy eccentric father while the daughter tries to clean up after him and make their ad agency a reputable business.
After it received rave reviews and constantly being called the number one comedy in america, I was shocked to see the crazy ones on the chopping block. But apparently after its major debut the series kept dropping in numbers with every show. According to CBS it didn't quite fit into the comedy block on thursdays. Well I'm sad to see you go Robin Williams, you are a great comedian and will always be one of my favorites!
CBS has ordered 5 new pilots in the drama genre that will be seen in during the Pilot season. Hopefully things will be on the up and up soon! On a lighter note newcomers Mom and The Millers have survived and new seasons have been ordered! YAY! I love Mom it absolutely hilarious and The Millers is also a side splitter so I'm very happy for their renewal. Again for the new series that are coming down the pike good luck during pilot season!

Fox


Fox network has cancelled several of the new shows: Almost Human, Rake, Enlisted, Surviving Jack, The X Factor, The Cleveland Show, American Dad (with a little twist) and Dads. Its no surprise. Let's see what going on with this set of cancelled shows (everybody knows its a trend with fox to have failed shows remember Till Death?):

Dads


Dads chronicled the lives of two video game creators and the estranged relationships with their deadbeat fathers. After some time the fathers of both men move into their shared apartment and the long time issues they've had all come to a head.
I was never a fan of this show and therefore I'm not sad to see it go. Honestly I think they are stretching Seth McFarlane way to thin. They lean on him for everything. The kind of comedy he has works in his flagship shows. But it didn't fit well in his Dads show. The reason why is because they were trying too hard. Constantly making racist jokes, jokes that were way out of line and damn near offensive. The only reason it worked on his animation shows is because the shows were animation. You can get away with a lot of things in a cartoon! Come on. Fox you're going to have to do better than this with your comedy sitcoms. 
Almost Human


After being in a coma for a 1 year and half Detective John Kennex is reluctantly called back to work. John Kennex is suffering from severe memory loss from a deadly attack by the Insyndicate, the death of his partner and friend, and the betrayal/loss of his girlfriend Anna. Assigned a new android partner John is not happy and ultimately destroys it. Once his boss hears of his partners unfortunate accident John is assigned a defunct model of the android cop called DRN or Dorian. The Android DRN is defunct because it was created to feel human emotion and be as close to human as possible. But because of their inability to really fully understand and effectively display human emotion they were shelved and replaced with an efficient robotic Android model. John Kennex struggles to contain his emotional hurt and loss all while developing a strong bond with his partner Dorian.
Almost Human was a great show. I don't think FOX handles crime drama well. Although I thought this one would definitely last. I loved the show. I watched it faithfully and I really wanted this show to continue. I wanted to see how the show would ultimately play out. It was a good show that just didn't get the following it needed. So sad to see it go!

Enlisted


Enlisted follows a soldier named Pete who went from super soldier in Afghanistan to leader of a Rear Detachment platoon on an army base in Florida. In this witty comedy Pete not only has some quirky characters to watch over he also has his 2 knucklehead brothers to keep in line. 
I was on the fence with Enlisted. I watched one episode and I thought their comedy and playful banter with each other was funny and cool. I didn't think it would last because of the time slot it was given. I don't think FOX really considers where they put these shows when thinking about the competition. Maybe TBS can pick up Enlisted or someone. Its a good show. 
The X Factor



Simon Cowell's version of American Idol with a twist. Instead of focusing on solo artists, the X Factor allows all types of singers to apply. Bands, solo artists, groups, young adults, etc. Then they compete and the audience votes on who stays and who goes on to be the X factor.
The time for these types of reality shows are phasing out. The Voice is ousting both the X Factor and American Idol. X Factor was a cool concept but because it was executed the same way American Idol is it was nothing new to look at or even listen to. I just can't and won't watch these shows. There was no reason for X Factor to cross the bond over into the US. It does well in the UK because they have a market for it. Its time to try something new or take off these kinds of reality shows completely.
Rake


A troubled criminal defense attorney is juggling his poor decisions in life and his clients.
I really have nothing to say about Rake other than it was a mistake to think this show would work. I looked at it and I have to say it was lackluster at best. It was too much going at one time. So..with that being said: Farewell Rake.
Surviving Jack


In the 1990s ex-military husband Jack takes on the role of "homemaker" when his wife decides to go back to law school. With his no-nonsense and creative approach to parenting the children are thrusted into a whole new world of hilarious shenanigans!
Christopher Meloni is by far one of my favorite actors. He is absolutely hilarious. I was excited about this show and I watched a couple episodes and I gotta say it was funny. But apparently I was the one who thought it was funny. Again sad to see it go.
The Cleveland Show


The Cleveland Show was based off a Family Guy character named Cleveland Brown and his son Cleveland, Jr. Cleveland Brown moves back to his hometown of Stoolbend, VA after divorcing his ex-wife, Loretta. Cleveland hooks up with his high school crush Donna and gets married. Donna has two kids from her previous relationship named Rollo and Roberta. The Cleveland Show is a barrel of laughs, same format of Family Guy just a whole different atmosphere!
I liked the Cleveland Show. I'll admit it really fell under the radar after its 1st Season but I was looking forward to the next season but then I learned of it being cancelled. I didn't even know it was cancelled I had to google it to find out. I watched all the shows that Seth McFarlane ran on FOX during the Animation Domination, only to find out from google that the Cleveland Show was cancelled. I think what made The Cleveland Show lose steam was that Seth McFarlane was doing too much. He wrote, directed, and starred on just about every episode of all the shows he created (except Dads). It fell flat with the jokes and the show began to lose its charm. But on the upside the show has been syndicated on Cartoon Network so reruns it is!
American Dad


Animated series centers around an American CIA agent, his lovable family and their live-in alien pal.
American Dad is absolutely hilarious. I love this show and I'm sad to see it go on FOX. But I'm happy to report that its moving to TBS! And its already syndicated to Cartoon Network and TBS so I can't wait!




I'm sad to see some of my favorites go and others it just wasn't meant to be. But these networks better step up their game. Because TV will go to streaming only in a minute. The only thing that will be live is sports events, awards shows, and talk shows. Some of the shows I understood why you cut them but others deserved more than just a mid-season beginning. Pull it together major networks, pull it together!





Source: EntertainmentWeekly, Deadline, & Variety

You Might Also Like

0 comments

recent posts

SUBSCRIBE

SUBSCRIBE