Changes

Mr. Tyler Perry, Can I Talk to You?

4/13/2013 05:12:00 PM

Dear Mr. Perry,

I'm a huge fan. I have all your movies (well the ones I liked, LOL) and ALL of your plays. I was and still am a consistent supporter of yours. I was glad when your plays were running consistently, every 6 to 8 months there was new play coming out. They always had a serious issue that black people didn't discuss, issues like drugs, sexual molestation, abuse (both physical and mental), prostitution, rape, etc. You rounded out the plays with God, love, and acceptance. They always had great symmetry, a great message, and they were HILARIOUS.

Now that you have gone mainstream things have changed, drastically. First off lets talk about your TV shows. At first I loved them. Tyler Perry's House of Payne was like watching the black version of All in the Family. It was funny and tackled serious issues that plagued black families: divorce, drugs, infidelity and more. But after a while the show started change. The fluidity of the show was off extremely. On TBS House Payne would show 2 new episodes every week on Wednesday at 9 and 9:30 pm. You would think that the story lines between the two episodes would match. Not so. It just seemed like things were unfinished. For all you nay sayers out there let me clarify one thing I know there were several story lines going on at one time on the show but that doesn't mean each story can't be explained and understood before you move on to the next. It was a difficult show to follow sometimes because each of the story lines with the characters were not finished, he would just move on like it never happened. If it wasn't a big storyline like Calvin getting shot or Jeannine's drug problem then it was over looked and buried.

Now lets get into the movies. I wasn't on top of the world in love with the movies. I thought that you would keep the funny aspect of the plays in the movies and you didn't. The movies were very serious, even the ones with Madea in them. The humor wasn't on point like the plays. And I get it plays and movies have to play out differently, but it just seems like the movie adaptation of the plays lost a lot of its charm and humor. Another reason I'm not in love with your movies is the way they transition from scene to scene. A movie has to have fluidity. Each scene has to move seamlessly to the next and I don't feel like your movies do that.

I'm saying all this because. 1 - Your the big man on campus now and there is no reason why your films or TV shows aren't getting better. 2 - Most directors have taken up film in school or have learned from directors how to properly direct a film. They have perfected their craft on the highest level. Whats wrong with you doing the same? You can make amazing films with powerful messages that would reach a bigger audience and it would dominate the market. 3 - If I was in your shoes Tyler I wouldn't direct my own films and TV shows. I would choose one and focus on it. It seems like your spreading yourself very thin. You can hire an awesome director and still have the final say so on how the movie comes across and how you are being portrayed.

Again let me say, I love you Tyler Perry. I think that you are very talented and your ability to touch people through TV shows, movies, and plays is uniquely you. I just want and expect better from you. Your fan base will begin to dwindle and you lose a lot of people who have supported you simply because you have not evolved. 13 movies under your belt and they all run the same. Woman is severely damaged, a man with a good heart comes in and shows her real love. The only movie to me that was different from the norm was Daddy's Little Girls. It had a great storyline, it explained everything. Nothing was left in air.

I'm not be any means down grading you Tyler Perry, I'm just speaking my mind.

I haven't had the chance to see the movie Temptation yet. But I decided to read some of my peer reviews as well as some professional critics. For the most part the reviews were not good. Most people didn't like the way characters were portrayed. Others were upset at how the movie was soap opera like and didn't have any substance. They felt as if the twists and turns of the movie were very predictable and nothing about it was an Aha! or Oh Ish! moment.

Not everyone is going to like what you do but if I were you, I would take into consideration what is being said about my movies and TV shows. Then I would at least try to fix the things that were critiqued that can be fixed.

Good Luck Mr. Tyler Perry on all your future projects and even you though you may never read this letter, just know that this came from love and not hatred.

Sincerely A Loyal Fan,

- Tiffany E.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

recent posts

SUBSCRIBE

SUBSCRIBE